LEARN HOW TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL FREELANCER ON UPWORK
Upwork is a freelance platform that connects individuals and businesses to freelancers that can handle their jobs. Services on Upwork encompasses writing and translation, Web, Mobile and Software development, Data Science and Analytics, Design and Creative, Admin Support, and many more. The aim of this article is to teach you how to become a professional freelancer on Upwork.
GLOSSARY TERMS ON UPWORK
For quick understanding, I must explain a few of the Upwork Glossary terms.
- Freelancer: A registered individual offering services on Upwork is referred to as freelancer.
- Agency: Agency is a body of people working together as an Agency on Upwork
- Client: Someone looking for a freelancer or Agency to handle his or her project.
- Connect: A compulsory ticket that freelancers and agencies use to apply for work on Upwork.
- Fixed-contract: A short-term project whereby the client pays all the money for the project at once.
- Milestone: A long-term project whereby client pay freelancer based on his progress on the assigned job. This is often based on an initial agreement before the commencement of the project.
- Job Feed: A specialized page where Clients post their Job request and wait for freelancers to apply.
- Interview: This is the term Upwork uses when a client contacts a freelancer concerning a project.
- Cover letter: The proposal you send to clients when applying for work.
HOW TO WORK AS A FREELANCER OR AGENCY ON UPWORK
Working as a freelancer on Upwork is easy and, at the same time, complicated. Sounds strange, right? Yeah, the procedure is straightforward; however, the possibility that your account will approve your application is slim, which makes it complicated.
Upwork has its way of streamlining the number of Freelancers on each niche to create a balanced market among their freelancers. As a result of this, there is a high tendency your account can be rejected even if you create a perfect profile.
Other factors Upwork use before approving applicant accounts are location, profile, and others. To be on the safer side, you can enroll for the DigitalPud Freelance training package on how to work as a freelancer on Fiverr and Upwork. You can as well send me a direct mail if you prefer a private training session.
TYPES OF SKILLS YOU CAN OFFER AS A FREELANCER ON UPWORK
“What kind of skill can I offer as a freelancer on Upwork?” This is one of the most popular questions people ask me whenever I try to introduce them to freelancing. And my answer is always the same; Any digital skill! It can be graphic design, content writing, data entry, web design, software development, and many more.
And in case you don’t have any digital skill you can offer on the platform, check the ten excellent skills can learn on your own, with comprehensive guidelines to become a professional in your niche.
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR UPWORK ACCOUNT
Registration on Upwork is free. To register as a freelancer, visit Upwork.com and click on sign-up. Enter your email address and click on continue. Upwork often advise freelancers and clients to register with their business address. However, this is not a must, so you can still register with your regular email address. It will bring a warning like, “We noticed you’re using a gmail.com address. Would you like to use your email address instead? Just click on ignore and click “continue with email”.
After that, you will see a page where you would be asked to enter your full name, user name, and password. On the same page, you would be required to choose your Nationality. Select what you want to do on the platform, work as a freelancer, or hire freelancers to handle your project. Since you want to work on the platform, then you should click on the work. Read the Terms of Services and mark the two green buttons if you are comfortable with it. Click on Create My Account.
You would be requested to verify your Email Address, after which you can continue to create your profile.
Please note that the chances that Upwork will approve your account are not certain. It is based on either luck or strategies, which is often reviewed every month. If you don’t know how to go about this, you can apply for the DigitalPud Freelance Training Package on how to open a professional Fiver and Upwork Account. The registration fee is just $6 (N,2000, if you are from Nigeria). You can as well contact me for private training, which goes for just $15. (N5000).
HOW TO APPLY FOR WORK ON UPWORK
After Upwork, can I be the second person to compliment you for successfully creating an approved profile on Upwork? Because I am sure Upwork must have sent you a congratulation mail. So, let’s go to the next thing: how to apply for jobs on Upwork.
First of all, you need connects before you can apply for work as a freelancer on Upwork. The cost of a unit connect is $0.15, which means ten connect will cost $1.6 connect. Note that connect is not sold in units but bulks of 10, 20, 40, 60, and 80. You can click here to confirm the prices.
However, to be fair to new freelancers, Upwork gives new freelancer that just join the platform 20 connects to start with. You can use these 20 connects to apply for any job. Naturally, these 20 connects should surface you to get your first job on the platform, after which you can take from the money to buy more connects. Meanwhile, if you exhaust these ten connects without getting any job, you will need to buy more connects before applying for jobs.
HOW THE UPWORK CONNECT SYSTEM WORK
The required number of connects to apply for jobs on Upwork is not fixed. It always varies from 1 – 6 connects, depending on the size of the product (budget) and the project type. I.e., the higher the client’s budget for the project, the higher the number of connect required to apply for the job.
The cheapest job requires 1 connect. This is very rear actually. Most of the jobs start with 2 connect upwards. And the maximum connect any job can require is 6.
UPWORK JOB INTERVIEW
There are two types of job interviews on Upwork.
- You apply for a job on the Upwork job feed, and the client contacts you for an interview.
- You do not have to apply for the work initially. The client discovers your profile and Upwork and invites you to apply for his work.
Please note that the first one requires a certain amount of connects while the second one does not require to connect. However, you will still need to send a cover letter for both.
FIVE ESSENTIAL TIPS TO BECOME SUCCESSFUL AS A BEGINNER ON UPWORK
- Don’t apply for jobs that require more than four connects
- Go for jobs you are confident you can complete.
- Ignore works that over five people have applied for
- Take you time to write great proposal when applying for job.
- Avoid jobs that do not have verified payment method.